Trinity Fine Art

Navigation

GIOVANNI BONAZZA (VENICE 1654–PADUA 1736 )

Allegorical Figures of Fides and Decorum


Padua, circa 1700–1710
White marble, carved in high relief, the top shaped;
on original giallo antico marble base
Height overall 115 cm
Maximum width 92 cm

Provenance: Palazzo Trento, Padua, circa 1750
(Palazzo Trento was built at about this date)
In 1805 Palazzo Trento was acquired by
Alessandro and Francesco Papafava dei Carraresi
Collection Papafava dei Carraresi, until the late 1990’s
Private collection

Literature: G. B. Rosetti, Descrizione delle pitture, sculture ed architetture
di Padova, Padua 1765, p. 344f
G. B. Verci, Notizie intorno alla vita e alle opere de’ pittori . . . della
Città di Bassano, Venice 1775, p. 196
O. Ronchi, ‘Un dipinto di Leandro Bassano offerto da
Padova al podestà Andrea Minotto’, in Bollettino del Museo
Civico di Padova, 1928, VI, p. 269
D. Banzato, in Lo spirito e il corpo 1550–1650. Cento anni di ritratti
a Padova nell’età di Galileo, exh. cat., Padua 2009, no 15, p. 91,
(the marble illustrated in a photomontage with Leandro Bassano’s
‘Allegory of the Baptism of Chiara Maria Minotto’, which stood on the base)